Do Not Judge at First Glance, But Take Time to Look Beyond byBehcet Kaya

The following short story is one I heard as a little boy when I was around nine years of age. Both the origin and the author remain unknown. Since I do not recall the names of the characters, or where the story took place, I will take literary license to add those details. The story revolves around two men who grew up along the Mississippi River and became friends at a very early age. Mr. Endicot Willes and Mr. Liam Young’s friendship began in kindergarten, continuing on through elementary school, middle school, and high school. From the time they were old enough to handle a fishing rod, they spent most Saturdays fishing on the banks of the river. Although they attended different colleges, they remained friends into their adult years. Entering their adult life, Mr. Endicot Willes became known as a sharp, street-smart, businessman. He opened a fish restaurant which became very popular and successful. His parents were well-off, with a fleet of ships and barges to transport cargo. In contrast, Mr. Liam Young remained a naïve man, always easy going, and would do anything to help another person if it was within his power to do so. He joined his parents at their construction business, which he eventually inherited, and through the business accumulated considerable wealth. Years later, despite his business acumen, Endicot found himself on the edge of bankruptcy and his fish restaurant on the verge of closing. Not at all worried, he was sure his friend Liam would help him get back on his feet. Calling his friend, he invited him to the restaurant to discuss business. “Liam, we have been friends for a very long time. Tomorrow I will be forced to close the restaurant due to lack of capital. I need funding to pay off my debts and a cash infusion to keep the restaurant open. Would you be willing to help me out?” Without hesitation, Liam responded, “Of course I will help you.” Liam sold everything he owned and gave all of the proceeds to Endicot. Another three years passed. Endicot’s restaurant returned to prosperity, but there was another matter troubling him. He contacted Liam for another serious conversation. “Liam? For a very long time I have been in love with your girlfriend. I want to make a life with her. Do you mind if I start dating her? Let’s be honest. You have nothing to offer her. Hopefully, we will marry. Besides, from what I hear, she is about to leave you anyway. What do you say?” Liam was hurt by both the request and the accusation that his girlfriend was going to leave him. But, he did not oppose the idea. “If she loves you, who am I to interfere?” Although Liam attempted to open another construction company, the business did not do well. With his inheritance nearly gone, Liam was forced to file bankruptcy. Since Endicot’s fish restaurant had reestablished itself with Liam’s infusion of capital, Liam decided to ask Endicot for a job. Calling his friend, he asked, “Endicot? I have very little money left. I need your help. I need a job. Will you hire me?” Liam was surprised with Endicot’s answer. “The restaurant business is extremely difficult to oversee. I am afraid that knowing you as I do, there is no place for you in my business.” Disappointed, Liam carried on looking for any job he could find. One day, on the way to a job interview, Liam encountered an old man on the street. The old man asked Liam if he had any extra money to help him pay for his medicine. Without hesitation, Liam took what little money he had in his pocket and gave it to the old man. Not too long after that encounter, Liam heard that the old man had passed away. He was surprised to receive a letter from the old man’s lawyers indicating that he’d actually been very wealthy and that he had left everything to Liam. Liam was still disappointed that his friend Endicot had not helped him when he needed it most. To show Endicot that he was no longer poverty stricken, Liam bought a beautiful four-bedroom home right across from his friend’s restaurant. One day as Liam was bringing in groceries, he encountered an old woman. “Please, sir. Could you spare a few dollars? I have not eaten in three days” Instead of handing her money, he asked, “Why don’t you come inside with me? I will cook dinner and you can eat with me. That way, neither of us eats alone.” Liam enjoyed the old woman’s company so much that he invited her to stay with him and help around the house. “This is a big house. You can stay here and have your own room I am by myself and lonely, so it would be good for both of us.” Six months passed. While having breakfast one morning, the old woman suggested that Liam should get married. “Liam, you are a nice young man and you have such a good heart. I think you should get married and have children. In fact I know a very nice young girl that would suit you well.” Liam and the young lady became quite close. When Liam asked her to marry him, she said yes. They planned a big wedding and invited many friends including Endicot. After a beautiful ceremony, everyone stayed on and enjoyed the reception dinner. Liam took the microphone and began his speech. “As my new bride and I begin our married life, I would like to say a few words about and old friend of mine. We were inseparable for many years. When this friend went bankrupt, I sold my business and gave him all the proceeds so that he would not lose his restaurant. “Several years passed during which time my friend’s restaurant returned to prosperity. He then came to me wanting to date my then girlfriend. He insinuated that she was about to leave me. I acquiesced. As my friend’s business continued to prosper, my circumstances worsened and my inheritance was gone. When I approached my friend for a job, he turned me down. By happenstance I encountered an old man on the street. I gave him my last few dollars to help him buy his medicine. After he passed, I discovered that not only was he wealthy, but he had left all of his estate to me. “That inheritance afforded me the opportunity to buy a comfortable home. Soon after I moved in, I encountered an elderly lady asking for a few dollars for food. I invited her into my home, cooked dinner for her, and enjoyed her company so much that I invited her to move in. She, in turn, introduced me to my bride. “Now, I am married to this most beautiful woman. I thank God for giving me these bountiful opportunities. I thank everyone for sharing this special day with us. If there is anyone who would like to say a few words, I will pass the microphone.” His old friend Endicot raised his hand. “If I may? I do have a few words to say.” Liam handed the microphone to Endicot. “Ladies and gentlemen, everything my friend spoke of is true. He did sell his business to save my restaurant. But, I must add that what he does not know is when Liam asked me for a job in my company, I could not bear to see him working under me. So, I said no. Regarding his previous girlfriend? I knew she would destroy Liam, end up leaving him, hurting deeply him in the process. That is why I did what I did with regards to her. “As for the old man he spoke of who gave all of his wealth to Liam, that was my grandfather. I suggested my grandfather play the part of a homeless man. Liam also spoke of an old lady that he took into his home. That old lady is my grandmother. As for his beautiful bride? She is my sister. “Through all of his troubles, Liam never faltered. He continued on, helping those in need. Despite my outward behaviors, he continued to be my friend. In the end, he has received blessings beyond belief. Liam, may you and my sister have a happy life together.” This story I have carried with me since childhood. As a young boy, I thought Endicot was quite selfish in his behavior toward Liam. As I matured my a point of view has evolved. Everything we see, everything we encounter, may not be what it appears to be. Do not judge too quickly. Do not lose faith. Always look beyond.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

U.S. Leading World to Thermonuclear War

The Funeral March of Ataturk in Ankara Turkiye and Those Who Attended the Funeral in Mourning

Tensions are High